history

The Busby and Clarkston Horticultural Society’s roots go back to 10th November 1947, when, following a highly successful Flower Show held in Busby West Church on Saturday 6th September 1947, Colonel Mather proposed the formation of “The Busby Horticultural Society”.

Mr. G. Bennet of Greenwood Road was appointed the first President and a committee was formed to look initially at the Show Schedule. This was assisted by adopting the Show Rules from neighbouring Mearns Horticultural Society which had been going since 1871.

The next Show was held on 4th September 1948 in Busby Primary School, establishing the tradition of holding the Annual Flower Show on the first Saturday in September. Membership was around 250, not dissimilar to what we have today.

The Society continued to meet alternatively in Busby East & West Church Halls. Whist drives, bulb shows, summer outings and dances were very popular, taking their place in the programme alongside the Annual Flower Show and the winter lectures.

It proved to be a very successful organisation and flourished over the succeeding years. A move was made to Clarkston in 1962 with the name Clarkston added and Clarkston Halls used as a base.

During its life, the Society has progressed and is now an established entity in the community, supported by local residents and businesses. Links have been forged with like-minded local and national groups through the Scottish Gardeners Forum.

The Committee numbers twenty four and we are always looking to encourage younger members to get involved.

A booklet commemorating the 60th Anniversary of the Society has been published incorporating local historian, John McVicar’s exciting insight into the foundations of the current Society. You will be as amazed as we were to read that “The Busby Horticultural Society was founded in 1881 and mounted its first show in Wilson’s Hall at the end of August 1882.”!

“1947-2007 The First Sixty Years” is available from the Society.

Two Past Presidents at Logan 2010
Two Past Presidents at Logan 2010

 

Flower Show Prizewinners
Flower Show Prizewinners

 

Memories:

Since its formation sixty years ago, Busby & Clarkston Horticultural Society has faithfully kept a written record of all its meetings. Through the dedication of the Society’s Secretaries it is possible to look back and remember times past.

Sometimes the information makes us wonder what happened: for example to the National Rose Society’s Annuals 1935 to 1947, which were presented to us and placed in the custody of the Duff Memorial Library, where members could borrow them by presenting their membership card. Perhaps they’re still there!

Sometimes the information makes us remember:
did you know that the Society has appeared three times on BBC Radio gardening programmes – 1956 and 1969 on Garden Forum and in 1973 Gardeners’ Question Time. More recently of course we have featured on both Gardeners’ Question Time and Radio Scotland’s Beechgrove ‘Potting Shed’ in November 2004 and again in November 2011.

And sometimes the information makes us think: “good grief was he/she around away back then?” For example, Peter Leitch,  twice President, thirty years apart. In 1960 it was proposed that the flowers and vegetables be auctioned at the close of the Show. This was objected to at Committee, but overturned some five years later and right up to 2006, Peter has been our auctioneer. We gave Peter a special presentation in August 2007 for 50 years service. Unfortunately, Peter is no longer with us, but he lives on in all our memories.

Murdoch Hodge’s name first appears in 1968 and in 1977 he took office as Show Secretary, a position he has held to this day (sorry to remind you Murdoch). In 1973 he was largely responsible for revising and updating the Show Schedule to its present day format, doing away with the Amateur and Open Sections.

Hamish Orr, our long serving President in the 70’s and 80’s is still active on the Committee today, as are quite a few other members. It seems to be a life sentence, but I’m sure each and every one of them still enjoys their involvement in what we like to think of as a friendly, informative Society.

Social outings, trophy winners, constitutional changes and local history are all recorded in our minutes. Did you know that in the 1950’s the Society took block bookings of 200 seats for Theatre Royal Pantomimes or indeed hired two double-decker buses (73 seaters) for their Annual Summer trips?

Memories indeed – long may they continue...